Wednesday, May 21, 2008

JASON TAYLOR BLOWING OFF TRAINING CAMP

Though I wish he'd take part, I generally don't have a problem with Miami Dolphin Jason Taylor skipping his team's offseason work this weekend. "Dancing With The Stars" is a royally stupid television show, but it's here to stay, and it's a commitment. Taylor made that commitment, did very well on the show, and I have no issues with him choosing to hang out with his wife and kids this weekend, now that the competition is over.

However, today's revelation that Taylor is skipping all the Dolphins' offseason workouts and training camp shows the potential for a different agenda.

Dolphins coach Tony Sparano said on Wednesday that Taylor won’t be participating in any of the team’s offseason activities — and that he won’t be at training camp.

“I know that Jason is not going to be at any OTA’s,” Sparano said. ”I know that Jason will not be at any minicamps. I know that right now Jason is not going to be at training camp.

“That’s what we know. Jason is a player under contract with the Miami Dolphins. He knows that. Both parties are well aware of the information. That’s all I’m going to say about it. . . . I’m not going to talk about another thing about Jason.”

Frankly, I think this is stupid. Taylor is supposedly a football player first. Sure, everyone needs something to do after football, and for some, a career in Hollywood has a bit more appeal than sitting in a New York/Los Angeles studio talking about football every Sunday.

But Taylor is under contract with the Dolphins, he's expressed no public desire for a new contract, and he's expressed no public desire to be traded. If he wants to be a Dolphin, he needs to be a Dolphin. That means he needs to report to minicamp (the mandatory one) June 6, and he needs to show up for training camp.

Instead of football, Taylor's eyes are obviously on life after football. If that's the priority, I suggest Taylor consider retirement from playing football. It's never struck me as a game you can play half-assed.

No comments: