Thursday, May 22, 2008

AARON RODGERS LOVES BONDING, HATES HAIRCUTS

If Brett Favre had a flaw in the eyes of many Packer fans, it was his general inability to be "one of the boys" toward the end of his career. His relationship with young backup Aaron Rodgers wasn't thought to be all that great. It was understandable to an extent. After all, Favre was the old dog. He has 15 years on Rodgers. When I'm 37, I'm not going to hang with anyone who's just out of college.

But there were some Packer fans who saw that as a bad thing. They thought Favre should have taken Rodgers under his wing. Taught him everything he could. That didn't happen.

And if Rodgers' recent words and actions are to be seen as a trend, it won't happen that way with him.
Rodgers said he's just being himself in respect to the off-season gatherings. But it's easy to see that Rodgers' living room is where Favre's reign ends and the Rodgers era - whatever it will ultimately be - has begun.

"I've always been open, a guy that wants to be involved not only working together but in the lives of these guys," Rodgers said. "That's why I've been having guys over once a week, just because I want us to be a connected team on and off the field."

I'm not a rah-rah guy by any stretch, but I think this is a great first step on his part. In order to succeed in Green Bay, Rodgers can't try to be Favre. Granted, there are fans who want him to be Favre. But he can't. He's Aaron Rodgers, and Aaron Rodgers just wants to be one of the boys.

And while it would be totally understandable if Rodgers shielded himself from rookies Brian Brohm and Matt Flynn, he says that won't happen.

"I'm going to help them as much as they want," Rodgers said. "I know what it was like to be a rookie and I'm sure their heads are swimming a little bit with the stuff we put in. So as much help as they want, they have my phone number. They know where I live - they're coming over tonight to hang out - so I'm going to be there for them."

Rodgers said his rookie experience had no bearing on his outlook toward his underlings.

"It was a different situation," said Rodgers, who has traded voicemails with Favre since his retirement. "(Favre) was 36, I was 21. We were 15 years apart. I'm 24 and these guys are 22 so as far as age goes, there's a little more connection there. But I'm just doing things the way I've always done them."

Say what you want about Rodgers' uneven performances in his first three years, but there are some undeniable statements:
  • Rodgers looked really good in that Dallas game last year. He threw the ball well, spread the field, and confidently led this team.
  • He's gotten significantly better in his preseason stints since his rookie campaign.
  • He needs a freaking haircut.
I've been to Green Bay. I know there are haircut places there. In fact, I have seen them myself. Here's a link to one.

Since we've established they exist, and I'm sure they're not out of Rodgers' price range, I'm not sure why Rodgers is trying to grow his hair longer than Al Harris. Perhaps, he's trying to sell the idea that he's so busy trying to get ready for the season that he doesn't have time to get a haircut.

No comments: