Wednesday, September 09, 2009

Oberg Blogging on Canucks Website

Former Bulldogs are popping up all over the place!

Defenseman Evan Oberg left after his sophomore year, taking a free-agent deal with Vancouver. Responsible for what may be one of the most significant goals in UMD hockey history (.8 seconds left to tie the NCAA game against Princeton), Oberg parlayed his superb offensive improvement as a sophomore into an opportunity to play in the pros.

Oberg is now taking part in a Canucks rookie camp. He's blogging about his experiences at the Canucks website, www.canucks.com.

The first hockey game I ever went to was Vancouver vs. Edmonton in Edmonton when I was 9 or 10 (I think) and Pavel Bure was my idol. I still remember that day very clearly, my uncle took me to the game and we were waiting near the dressing room and when the security wasn’t around, my uncle snuck me in. I actually got Bure’s autograph that day and it was one of the best days of my life. I got my Canucks hat signed by and it’s probably one of my most prized possessions still.

It wasn’t too bad being a Canucks fan in Alberta where I grew up because my hometown is about halfway between Calgary and Edmonton so I didn’t hear it too much from the kids growing up.

Aside from Bure, I also looked up to Nick Lidstrom when I was a little bit older and converted to a d-man. I was a forward growing up until second year midget, so I was 17. The reason I switched was because we had a really low roster on defence and my coach said I skated the best backwards so he moved me there Luckily, I adjusted and liked it and the rest is history.

Good stuff. The story about switching to defense was especially cool. Oberg has obviously adjusted well to the position.

Hopefully, he's able to impress during rookie camp. Even a cup of coffee at main training camp would be a great experience for Oberg.

(Tap of the stick to UMD equipment manager Chris Garner for texting that tip along.)

No comments: