Monday, August 03, 2009

Brett Favre Finds Shoulder to Cry On With Peter King

Peter King is an outstanding football writer. His knowledge and passion for the sport comes flying out of the computer screen every Monday, and out of the television when he appears there.

Some have chided him for his commentaries on Brett Favre in the past, but King was writing relevant words about one of the greatest players of our generation. There's really nothing wrong with that.

In this week's Monday Morning Quarterback, King expands a bit on Favre's decision to stay retired and not (HA!) go to the Vikings for a final back-stab -- er, season.

Favre was down. He just sounded beat, like he had nothing left to give, and a little depressed. "I'm sure I'll regret it down the road," he said.

I asked him about the toll this had taken on his reputation. "Two years ago you were 'Sportsman of the Year' and an American folk hero,'' I said. "Now there are kids and adults who are sick of you, who don't love you anymore. How does it feel?''

"Well, then they really didn't love me in the first place,'' he said. "Whatever. Nothing I can do about it. This whole situation, if I had it to do all over again, there're a few things I'd do different. But wouldn't we all? I don't expect everyone to like what I've done the last two years. That's life.

"For people who'd question why I did this, I didn't do it for any other reason than to try to play football for a team [Minnesota] I really wanted to play for. It had nothing to do with revenge against the Packers. Nothing. It wasn't about getting back at [Green Bay GM] Ted Thompson. How much more clear can I make it?''

Got that, America?

Last year, well, that was just about revenge. This year, Favre just happened to pick the Packers' most bitter of rivals (at least nowadays) to stage a comeback for all the right reasons.

And all you idiots in Wisconsin who dared think negatively of Lord Favre over this, well you can just stick it, brother.



Actually, as Sting said the night after this, the greatest heel turn in wrestling history, "YOU stick it". Come groveling back to Green Bay once you get it, Brett.

Packer fans won't hold their breath on this one.

No comments: