Tuesday, April 21, 2009

IDIOT MONTREAL FANS DON'T GET IT

I'm sure the hundreds of thousands of lemmings supporters the Montreal Canadiens have don't really care much for the opinion of some dirty American, but I've never been one to care about the opinions of idiots.

I'd really like to root for Montreal in their first-round series against Boston. I'm not anti-American at all, but I do think it would be really cool to see a Canadian team achieve real success in the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Not only that, but Jack Edwards irritates me, and hearing him call more and more big Boston wins is only going to drive me to the asylum. Thank goodness the national coverage takes over for the next round.

That said, it's impossible for me to root for a franchise that continues to allow its fans to disrespect their more-than-civil neighbors (or, is it "neighbours"?) to the south.

As chronicled by James Mirtle, the Canadiens fans again booed the Star-Spangled Anthem Monday night before their team got worked by Boston for a third straight game.

LOGE19.com probably has the most outspoken take on the matter.
Let me see if I can get this straight, Canadiens’ fans. You are getting mauled by the Bruins in this series, so in order to show support for your team you boo the American National Anthem? ... Furthermore, you chant, "Go Habs Go" as the American National Anthem is being sung? Really? You’re that classless and lost you resort to that? In my opinion that is absolutely pathetic. Not to mention this is not the first time this incident has taken place, you even had a public service announcement to curb it! Talk trash about the Bruins or any opposing team all you want, but to disrespect the Anthem is plain ridiculous. As I said before, I was never into the Bruins/Habs rivalry because I’m from Chicago, but actions like that are why you’re hated.
The funny thing is that many defenders of this practice said it was all about former President George W. Bush. While I'm not about to defend the booing of the national anthem because you don't like the President (this, by the way, is coming from someone who decisively didn't like the former President), this excuse doesn't work now.

Frankly, I'm sick and tired of it. The culture up there is different than here, no question, because American fans have to resort to immature retaliation before they can boo the Canadian national anthem.

My wife is irritated when the fans cheer over the anthem in Chicago. I disagree, and I still get the chills when I hear this rendition from the 1991 All-Star Game.



I'd much rather hear all these thousands of people sing the song, but I'll take cheering over booing and catcalls any day.

Sweep 'em, Boston.

No comments: