Monday, August 27, 2007

BLOGPOLL ROUNDTABLE: OVERRATED/UNDERRATED

Nice and simple. Just like I prefer it.

I don't have to think too much, and those who know me are aware that thinking sucks sometimes.

Brian of MGoBlog is your host. The questions are simple, and the answers follow.

Who is overrated?

Looking at the preseason poll, one team seems to stand out for me, and it's not a likely answer, I am guessing.

Texas.

Why Texas? As much as I like Colt McCoy's talent and leadership, there is something worrisome about this Texas team. They lost a ton of defensive talent, and while Mack Brown keeps re-stocking this roster with Phil Steele-approved VHTs, I'm concerned about a team starting two new corners and two new defensive ends in a conference that has more than enough offensive talent.

I'm also red-flagging an offensive line that got beaten up in the last two regular-season games (both losses) to the tune of seven sacks. It's also worth noting that a line more experienced than the one they'll field this year failed to protect their quarterback or run-block effectively down the stretch. Combined total of rushing yardage for Texas in their final three games: 283 yards. Very un-Texas, if you ask me. Three starters are gone from that line, so things might be a bit hairy at times for McCoy.

Call it a hunch, but I have Texas behind both Oklahoma and A&M in the Big 12 South. Yes, I'm serious. And yes, I'm stupid.

Who is underrated?

I could pick Wisconsin here, but I'm not sure they're underrated. I tend to think I may have overrated them, actually. Another good choice for me would be Arkansas, because I do think they're a tad overlooked. However, I look at the BlogPoll and I see a startling omission.

Boise State.

They're not sexy at all. They may have gotten lucky to an extent when they beat Oklahoma. But they're good. Real good, I'd say. Ian Johnson is one of the top backs in the nation, and even without Jared Zabransky throwing, the offense is going to motor. The line is very solid, and Taylor Tharp is a good player who deserves credit for waiting his turn behind Zabransky. I like the growth I'm expecting to see out of this defense, led by safety Marty Tadman.

The schedule is better than it was last year, when all they had was the Oregon State game. Washington will be a decent test for this team, and that Southern Mississippi game in late September will be a great matchup on the smurf turf. A Thanksgiving Day weekend showdown in Hawai'i may decide the league and could be a battle of overlooked unbeatens.

An updated BlogPoll ballot will be posted tomorrow, and more conference previews are coming, too. If I'm lucky, I'll get the SEC done tonight. Again, check my WDSM blog for ACC, Big East, Big Ten, and Big 12 previews.

No comments: